Reviews and thoughts of books I've read

6.3.05

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult



I have only recently discovered Jodi Picoult, in fact the last book I read was The Pact written by her. I was so impressed by that book that I didn’t believe this book could be as good; it was good to be proved wrong. From just these two books I think Jodi Picoult has jumped to the top of my favourite authors list. Like The Pact, the writing style is one that I haven’t enjoyed in the past where each chapter is from the point of view of a different person or in a different time but which Jodi Picoult is proving is a useful tool to provide the full information for a story.

This story is also a gritty issue where the parents have a third child, genetically selected to be a donor for her sister with cancer. I’ve heard in the news about families who want to do this, but haven’t really thought what happens beyond the birth of the child. Whereas this books takes you through that journey where Anna is repeatedly in hospitable throughout her thirteen years to provide donations for her sister. Her sister now needs a kidney and Anna has had enough.

Having finished the book I still don’t know which side of the argument I stand on and when I think of the reactions of the characters they are so well written I honestly can’t say I would behave any differently if I was in their position.

Bookcrossing journal - controlled release (book ring)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home